Dennis & Vivien
Sales & Customer Service
TURNER RANCH GRASS FED BEEF. Our small, family-owned ranch is located in Marin County just an hour north of San Francisco. We offer meat from cattle that are exclusively raised on mothers' milk and wholesome pasture grass. The cattle are handled humanely at all times and are not given antibiotics, hormones, additives, grain, corn, or anything unnatural to ruminant animals. The ranch uses rotational grazing practices designed to optimize the health of the cattle and native grasslands.
SIMPLE ORDERS. We run a simple operation without much fuss, offering "mixed" quarters (1/4 of an Angus steer with "mixed" cuts from the front and rear quarters) that are dry aged for a minimum 14 days to optimize flavor and tenderness. Orders are cut and vacuum packed in convenient meal-sized servings.
DRY AGING. Our beef is dry aged (kept in a temperature and humidity controlled cooler) for at least 14 days. Supermarket beef is almost always wet aged (i.e., wrapped in plastic to retain water weight) for a couple days. Dry aging allows natural enzymes in the meat to break down hard connective tissues, and to allow water to evaporate thereby concentrating the flavor.
WHAT COMES IN A QUARTER. Because the front and rear quarters of steer produce different cuts of meat, each quarter is "mixed" to include a variety of cuts from both the front and rear sections. Customers purchasing a quarter are able to choose from one of two butchering cuts: (1) Standard Cut or (2) Modified Cut (which provides more ground beef). Mixed quarters also include offal (i.e., meat trimmings such as tongue, heart, liver) and some bone (excellent for broth!). AMOUNT OF MEAT. A 1/4 of a steer averages between 120 - 170 lbs of beef and requires approximately 3 cubic feet of freezer space. We do not sell by finished weight like your local grocer. See details under "COST" below, or additional information under FAQs.
COST. Our steers average 120 – 150 lb. of finished product per quarter. 2015 prices are as follows:
- Quarter Steer: $7.49/lb. (final weight) + 3% if a credit card is used
- Half Steer: $7.25/lb. (final weight) + 3% if a credit card is usedfinished
- Full Steer: $6.99/lb. (final weight) + 3% if a credit card is used
HOW IT WORKS.
- #1. PLACE YOUR ORDER. To ensure that we understand needs and desires, we always communicate personally with each customer before placing an order. Orders can be placed by calling (510)347-9105 or emailing us (and leaving a phone number) at firstname.lastname@example.org. A $100 deposit will be required to lock in an order (which can be by check or credit card). Once an order is placed, it is usually 5 - 6 weeks before pick up is ready at the butcher. above).
- #2. PAY FINAL BALANCE. Once your meat is aged and butchered, we will call with final weight and payment information. Completing the final payment authorizes pick up at the butcher.
- #3. PICK UP ORDER. The butcher shop (Bud's Custom Meats in Penngrove, Ca.) will contact you once your order has been cut and packaged. The butcher asks that you pick up your order within 7 days of their call. See "Pick Up" link above for Bud's location and hours.
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. Customers consistently say our beef is very lean and has excellent flavor. They are pleased that grass fed beef is healthier than what they get at the grocery store, and they appreciate knowing they are getting the best value for their money. They especially appreciate locking in their year's meat at one low price. With food prices escalating quickly due to inflation and drought, they see this as a wise financial decision.